The mission of the United Way of the Midlands is simple:
We unite people and resources to improve the quality of life in the Midlands.
The United Way of the Midlands will come to be known as the collaborator and trusted community problem solver. In that role, we will work to understand the needs of our community and then put programs in place to address those needs.
As the results of our new focus become increasingly visible, we believe that participation in our process will increase. In the end, our vision is that the United Way becomes a “way of life” in the Midlands.
Excellence: We perform with excellence in word and deeds at all times.
Responsiveness: We listen and respond to the needs of the community.
Leadership: We initiate catalytic leadership for community building to effect positive change.
Integrity: We act with integrity that inspires the highest trust.
Impact: We make a positive difference and have a measurable impact.
Volunteerism: We are relevant and impactful through the spirit of volunteerism.
Openness: We are accessible to all interested in participating in or examining our involvement in impacting the community.
Collaboration: We are committed to a group process to reach common goals that cannot be reached through the efforts of individuals or organizations acting alone.
Organizational Equity Statement
- We recognize structural racism and other forms of oppression have contributed to persistent inequities which United Way seeks to understand and address.
- We acknowledge that these inequities are the result of policies and practices that have worked, intentionally and unintentionally, to marginalize people of color.
- We unequivocally denounce racism and race-based discrimination because it undermines the well-being and vitality of our communities.
- Our United Way strives to listen and take action, especially along with those whose voices have traditionally been marginalized.
- We work with residents and public and private partners to co-create solutions that ensure everyone has the resources, supports, opportunities and networks they need to thrive.
- We commit to leveraging all our assets (convening, strategic investments, awareness building, advocacy) to create more equitable communities.
- Our actions are guided by our foundational belief that we achieve the greatest outcomes when we Live United; when we focus on what unites us rather than what divides us.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement of Principle
- We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
- We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
- We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
- We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our business and our daily interactions with the communities we serve.
Diversity & Inclusion:
United Way of the Midlands values diversity in its employees and volunteers as a resource, which adds to our ability to understand and to respond to our total community. This respect for differences is reflected in our responsiveness to our fellow co-workers, volunteers and to the people we serve.
- Provide equal employment opportunities to all people without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Assure equal opportunity and equal consideration to all applicants and employees.
- Are committed to understanding the political, economic, social and cultural context of our work activities.
- Act in ways that respect the dignity, uniqueness, and intrinsic worth of every person- the community, the donors, our own staff and families, boards and volunteers