Free Tax Filing

United Way fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in the Midlands. We give people the financial education and tools to build a solid foundation that improve their lives and the lives of their children. Tax refunds are often the largest paycheck a family receives and can be used to pay bills, save for the future, buy groceries, etc. 70% of US filers are eligible for free tax preparation but don’t take advantage, potentially paying to access tax credits or deductions such as the EITC.

For those that qualify, United Way of the Midlands offers, a free online tax preparation software through a partnership with H&R Block, and supports The Cooperative Ministry's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program

My Free Taxes

Since 2009, almost 1 million taxpayers in the US filed using, bringing $1.4 billion back to communities across America in tax refunds, and saving individuals and families $191 million in tax filing fees.

United Way and H&R Block partner to offer - a free online tax preparation software - to individuals and families who earned $66,000 or less in 2019.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

In the past five years, The Cooperative Ministry's VITA program has helped over 21,000 households with free tax preparation in the Midlands and brought nearly $14 million in federal refund dollars to the community. In-person tax preparation assistance is available to individuals and families who earned $55,000 or less.

The Cooperative Ministry will hold free tax preparation during the days and times at the locations here. Click here for a printable version of the chart.

What should I bring?

Click here for a printable list of what to bring to the VITA site.

  • Picture ID for individual and spouse.
  • Original Social Security/Medicare card for all persons to be listed on tax return or an ITIN card for those without Social Security card.
  • Birth dates of all persons listed on tax return.
  • All wage and earnings statements, for example: W-2 Form, Social Security Income (SSI), Pensions, Annuities, Unemployment Compensation, etc.
  • Any interest and dividend statements (any Form 1099s).
  • Copy of last year's federal and state tax returns (if available).
  • Documentation supporting a claim to a dependent exemption due to dependents receiving support from multiple taxpayers (divorced or separated parents), for example: Form 8332, Form 2120, or other valid documentation.
  • Child care provider's Name, Federal ID or Social Security Number, and address. Also, provide the amount paid for child care.
  • If you paid real estate tax on your home, bring your paid receipt. This is deductible even if you are taking the standard deduction.
  •  If you are itemizing your deductions, please bring a summary listing of your deductions and supporting details/receipts.
  • If you are taking college courses to further your education for a job, and you paid the tuition, please bring the tuition receipt and any financial aid or student loan statements.
  •  If you want to have your refund deposited into your checking or savings account, bring your account details (a check assigned to the specific account).
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements